FRIENDS Association for Children is a non-profit child and family agency that has served the Central Virginia community for over 140 years.
FRIENDS began in 1871 as an orphanage in historic Jackson Ward. Today, it operates two multi-service licensed child development centers in Richmond.
Currently FRIENDS serves nearly 1,000 children, ages six weeks to 17 years of age, through a broad array of services. FRIENDS children gain critical literacy and developmental skills needed to succeed in school and in life. Additionally, children achieve a greater understanding an appreciation of their community and the world around them.
The mission of FRIENDS is to help children and families in the metropolitan Richmond area achieve their potential and become productive citizens.
We are not alone in this mission. Creating opportunities for children happens through collaboration. The key to FRIENDS effectiveness are its partnerships and participation with:
- United Way of Greater Richmond and Petersburg
- Area Colleges and Universities
- Child Welfare League of America
- Corporate Partners: Aramark, Bon Secours, Capital One and others
- Partnership for Families Northside
- Promise Neighborhoods
- Richmond Early Child Development Initiative
- Smart Beginnings
- Virginia Department of Social Services